How do you reconcile what is happening in our World and Culture with our faith in God through Jesus? Is God looking and listening to the cries of his people? How come so many of His called faith leaders, preachers & teachers and those endowed with great gifts and abilities are opposed to one another for the cause of God – as if we know his every move (Even though Scripture records that his ways are not our ways and that some of his plans will continue to remain hidden – Isaiah 55:8-9 and Ecclesiastes 3:9-11)? How come Democrats, Republicans and Independents are brazened with starkly different views for the people of America? And is there a difference between facts and truth, especially when facts become twisted and truth becomes a blur for the sake and gain of certain people groups?
If the concern is over:
- Righteousness vs Sinfulness
- Injustice vs Justice
- Rich vs Poor
- Bigotry, Racism, Sexism and Homophobia vs Tolerance
- Nationalism vs Globalization
- Black vs White
- Liberals vs Conservatives
- White Supremacy and Privilege vs Minorities
- United States vs Everybody
- Islam vs Christianity
Then we haven’t scratched the surface or began to chop away at the root causes. It’s easy to point out the symptoms of our societal woes but it’s a lot more difficult to diagnose and prescribe healing and treatment to the disease. Bandaids will no longer work, our country’s fever is coming to a boiling point and something has to give or blow.
It’s also easy to think that we are ALL on the same team – humanely and spiritually speaking.
Scripture records in Ephesians:
For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the cosmic powers over this present darkness, against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly places.
– Ephesians 6:12 ESV
There is a world we cannot see and it is filled with constant warfare between the powers of darkness and light for dominion of Earth and the souls of men. These powers are very real and if we are not careful we will foolishly fight these spiritual forces of darkness with our human understanding, flesh and blood.
Consequently, I’m convinced we can do more in the way of praying for ALL people, President Trump and our Elected Officials vs cursing, protesting and arguing our points on social media and in our pulpits at the new executive orders that have been handed down. Now, will there be a time for demonstrations and protesting? Yes, because our President isn’t Jesus and he’ll make decisions that don’t have God’s heart at the center. Is there place for peaceful demonstration? Yes, it is embedded in America’s DNA. But my point is, faith in God requires action in prayer.
First of all, then, I urge that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and thanksgivings be made for all people, for kings and all who are in high positions, that we may lead a peaceful and quiet life, godly and dignified in every way. This is good, and it is pleasing in the sight of God our Savior, who desires all people to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth.
– 1 Timothy 2:1-4
You may or may not agree with everything happening with our current administration and or protests. You may deem the other side unlawful, unconstitutional, bigots, religious zealots, the lost liberal left, self-righteous, deserving and or undeserving. Justice to one group may feel and appear like injustice to another. American to one group may seem un-American to the other. These are very real facts. But the truth is, if we pray we cannot go wrong! When we pray to the God who moves mountains and saves men souls he has a way of reminding us that he still sits on the throne and nothing happens on his watch without his careful eye paying attention to every detail. In addition, this doesn’t mean trials, indifference or tribulations won’t come and try to shake us – they will! On the contrary, we pray so that we’ll lead peaceful, quiet, godly and dignified lives in every way. I believe that prayer changes outcomes, wins battles and transforms the hearts of men more than shouting, cursing and demonstrations. Now, history proves that nonviolent civil disobedience demonstrations have there place. Billions of people wouldn’t have rights if it weren’t for powerful demonstrations.
A Few Powerful Demonstrations Include
- The 1930 Salt March for Indian independence from England led by Mohandas Gandhi
- The 1963 March on Washington for racial inequality led by Martin Luther King Jr and other leaders
- The 1989 Cape Town Peace March led by Archbishop Tutu, Mayor Gordon Oliver and others that fought against apartheid and the tyrannical South African government later freeing a jailed Nelson Mandela
But make no mistake, it starts with prayer. Prayer invites God into our situation to show himself to be God.
More, when we pray for ALL people this is pleasing to God! Now, praying for ALL includes those you do not agree with! Praying for ALL people may include but are not limited to:
- The white pastor who doesn’t talk about social justice or social engineering but fancy’s himself with concepts and principles of white supremacy
- The black pastor who only concerns himself with God’s grace and not God’s holiness
- The rich man who doesn’t bother himself with the poor but only that which pads his pockets
- The liberal who loves gay civil rights but hates and is intolerant toward your conservative views and rights
- The politician whose policies oppress the poor, strip widows of help and hurt children but will give his friends tax breaks because they create jobs
- The immigrant who peaceably lives next door to you and says hello at every opportunity
- The white police officer who loves black people by show and recognition of his awards in an urban area but is targeted because of his uniform
- The black male who wears hoodie walking through a residential area with Skittles only to be targeted by a white male whose bizarre behavior has become more and more apparent for all to see that there was something more to this one-sided story
And we pray for ALL people because God desires all men to be saved (The Romans Road) and to come into the knowledge of His truth and not our cultural truth, distorted facts, propaganda, conservative narrative, liberal media and certainly not our alternative facts.
The fruit of the righteous is a tree of life,
And he who wins souls is wise.
– Proverbs 11:30
Therefore, be wise with your time and energy and pray for President Trump and ALL people without delay because lives depend on it – this is bigger than the contrasted list above. It’s about God reigning and ruling in the hearts of his people minus our puny and putrid agendas. This battle is not between flesh and blood but spirit and you have to fight spirit with the Spirit.
What do you say?